24 June 2017

Mrs Beeton's Book of Needlework

Mrs Beeton as you've probably never seen her before!!!

This is the original Mrs Beeton Book of Needlework that I inherited from my gran many, many years ago. I treasure it immensely. 

First of all the cover which is still amazingly in good condition. To the side of it is a view of the gold edged pages. Gorgeous.

I must admit I rarely get the book out as it's in a bit of a fragile condition.  About thirty years ago a friend who was a book binder at a local university offered to mend a couple of pages which were damaged.  There is one loose page now which I really would love repairs but I've lost touch with him.  If I had to rescue anything in a fire this is the one book I'd take along with my signed Elgiva Nichols book.













The start of the tatting section.

Coloured plates.


A certificate which helps date the book and is a treasure in itself.  

The final two pictures are of pages which unfold from the book.

14 comments:

Elsa filOfilie said...

It's a treasure!

Anonymous said...

A treasure indeed!!!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That is a treasure!

Tim Kaylor said...

Yes, it is a treasure. At least it is in good hands. Thanks for sharing that, Jane.

Memé said...

Wonderful treasure Jane !!!!

Anonymous said...

What a treasure! Glad you take such good care of it. This is beautiful - Cindy from Dallas

Marilee Rockley said...

Wow! A treasure, indeed. They don't make books like that anymore.

Jane McLellan said...

Wow, that's amazing! Have you tatted any of the patterns?

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, gosh, Jane. I remember doing the beaded purse one but I never got it put together. I doubt I did any as I was afraid to damage the book while using it. This was in the days before the internet so nothing like this was online. Nowadays I'd be happy to tackle it if I'd got the pattern from a pdf online in the archives.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

This is an e-book on the Gutenberg project, and all you have to do is type Mrs Beeton's Needlework Book Gutenberg, and it will take you to the directory (first item) and clicking on it will take you to the first page. Excellent copy, easy to read, print can be enlarged. The round beaded bag is Pattern No. 42, and I found it by scrolling down to the number. Is that the bag you made?

How great that you have the actual book! Those color pages are exquisite.

Maureen said...

Commenting with the iPad! Does it work? Find another bookbinder so that you can repair this very special book ,even if you simply take it from the shelf now and then without worrying about loose pages.

Jane Eborall said...

iPad works and it's so good to have you back in my comments! Must do that sometime.

Jane Eborall said...

Trying to get onto the Gutenberg site to check but it's being VERY slow this morning!!! Will go back later when it's woken up and had it's breakfast!!!!

Bernice said...

I can't think of anyone else who should own this book. You my dear are also a treasure. Many thanks for showing us all the book.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.