9 February 2017

Trials of a TIAS!


Just a few of the pieces of tatting that I ditched while designing this year's TIAS. 

As you can see I had many changes of mind and landed up going in several directions and sometimes all at once!!!  

There were a few more of these 'trials' in the early days but they got thrown away. These are now all in the bin too!  

I'm finding that the way I design changes slightly over the years.  I still use the 'grab 2 shuttles and go' method but nowadays also resort to drawing rough sketches on my computer too.  LONG gone are the days when I did anything on paper as I spent so long looking for those bits of paper the next morning that it just wasn't worth it.

I type up the text as I go and then copy, paste and change it all in the same document so that I have a record of what works and what doesn't.  

11 comments:

muskaan said...

A design process is always interesting! I'm still old-fashioned and like to sketch on grid paper, making it easier to keep proportion and estimate stitch count.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

...and that is why I tat and leave the designing to others! Thanks for all you do to keep us all tatting, Jane!

erin said...

It's Crinoline Carnage!

Jane, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the TIAS this year! Bravo!

picotsnkeys said...

Living in Silicon Valley, I begin most of my designs on napkins or corners of programs! I must try the "grab the shuttles method" someday. Maybe it will lead to better designs!

Jane McLellan said...

A lot of thought and effort goes into the creation of the tias. Splendid today to see the array of crinoline ladies that resulted!

God's Kid said...

Thank you for sharing these, because I feel like so many of us don't realize just how much really goes into designing!! :)

Kathy Niklewicz said...

So glad you took photos! Several of these have potential! It's fun to look at these. We very much appreciate the talent you have. I also like that the 'Lady' is only a few inches high, and could fit into a small frame or could decorate so many things.

Madtatter80 said...

Oh I like them all the one looks like a Japanese dressed lady!

cheblan said...

Thank you Jane ! I am interested in your soft or app to draw patterns on the computer. Your patterns are always easy to read and understand. What's your drawing secret please ?

Liz in Melbourne said...

My first TIAS, - and it was great fun. Thank you, Jane.
Design is not my thing, so I am eternally grateful for those of you who Do design!

Jane Eborall said...

My secret isn't really much of a secret!! I use an iMac and the package which I paid for initially is EazyDraw. Years of experience help too!! Thanks for the compliment - anytime I can help you just contact me. My email address is somewhere on this blog and in the profile too!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.