28 July 2016

Grumbling along

Well the reason for my minor grumble is somebody I'm about to 'name and shame' for getting me involved in the clunies. Not just Mimi (see yesterday's post) but also Bernice from Knotvortex. 

It was this blog post a few days ago (by Bernice) that caught my attention. I thought - well, if Bernice can do it then surely I can too!!!!! 

Well, how wrong, wrong, wrong can you be!!!! It all started off well - but finished quite badly!! I only realised things were going haywire when I noticed I wasn't heading back towards the first cluny!!! That's why mine has turned out to be an inferior rectangular shape instead of a square!!!  Ah well, there was only one thing to do - finish it and mark it down as a 'lesson learnt'. What lesson was that? I can't read patterns.  So, the only thing to do now is kick BC3 up the backside, tell him off and start again!!!!

Least I got lots of practice with the wretched clunies!!!

While I was slogging my way (badly) through this piece I was thinking of all the tatters I see on Facebook who are always asking for quick, simple patterns.  Loads of people only do small things which take an hour or three.  Why do I INSIST on tackling huge projects which sometimes take days, weeks or even months?  Well I think I like the challenge and the pride in something that takes a lot of time (and patience).  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!!

14 comments:

Maureen said...

I love this! - wouldn't it be great in colour - but I still don't want to make clunies! ( at least I know what it is that I am rejecting, so it is an educated decision). I make small things for my grandchildren, but I, too, am gearing up towards a large piece which I intend to work on here and there for as long as it takes. Absolutely no deadlines, but one day it will be finished. Maybe it's something that you do when you begin to get older.I'm having fun browsing and choosing possible patterns.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Ditto to everything Maureen said! Although I have no desire to make Clunies, I do admire your perseverance, and I love the rectangle!

Michelle said...

Now you've got me thinking about this....(grr)

😄

Jane Eborall said...

Well now you can grumble about me!

God's Kid said...

I love your cluny rectangle and it must have been something you were supposed to do cuz' maybe someone wants a rectangle instead of a square!!! :)
I love the larger projects because I feel they are a great challenge, they make a bigger "splash" when seen, and I think they are remembered longer than a little motif or pair of earrings---plus, they might be treasured far longer too!! :)

picotsnkeys said...

I too am drawn to monster projects. I've just dusted off a major Bach piece (takes about 15 minutes to play) and am close to finishing a tatting project started 3 years ago. I must find small projects now to give myself a break! Any ideas? (snicker, snort guffaw)

Batty Tatter said...

It's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Poor Bernice - TWO of us are grumbling about that post. I did the same thing....printed the pattern, determined to dust off my Cluny skills (or lack thereof) and tat that square. Mine were facing the proper direction, but they look awful. ....sigh....which is why I signed up for Mimi's Cluny Improvement class this year. I can do them, but they definitely need 'improvement.'
StephanieW

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

You persevered and your rectangle looks great. No one has to know you were thinking square. ;) I find I'm drawn to more bigger projects these days, but there is always a place for small ones. While I love a challenge, most of my tatting is done during times when I couldn't concentrate on anything too complicated, yet I want to tat.

muskaan said...

Grumbling ? Why ? It looks Great !!!

Bernice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bernice said...

Why me Jane? I did not post just to cause Bc3 grief and grumble. It is a pretty rectangle.

Jane Eborall said...

Actually I'm extremely grateful to you as you got me out of my avoidance 'mode' with them. Also you're a good friend who I knew could take the teasing!

Pigmini said...

Bernice... it saves her having a 'go' at me instead!! LOL So all I shall say is... "And just WHAT is wrong with a rectangle"?? It's a perfectly straightforward shape!!! Most boxes are based on them!!! LOL

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.