26 September 2011

For whom the bell tolls!

Well actually this one will never toll again for anybody!!!  Remember the Outside In Bell?  Well this is what happened to it the other day!!!  Cut down in his prime, vandalised and thrown in the bin!!!!

Why?  Well I decided that it wasn't a 'good' design.  It was OK but it wasn't good enough for me.  Naturally I had to 'rescue' the beads I'd used in it (well, not the tiny seed beads) so out came the scissors!!

When I make something it HAS to stand on it's own.  It should NOT need blocking or pulling into shape or fiddling with.  Once it's finished it should just 'be' without any further help (well, perhaps a light press with the iron).  That's the high standard I set myself and it doesn't matter if I have to tat the same thing over a dozen times I will do that to meet my own 'quality control' standards.

Well, the bell didn't.  I had to damp it and slightly tug it into shape and that WON'T DO so it hit the dust!!!  Don't worry - I've not given up yet and I WILL get an Outside In Bell that is a good design and not just an 'average' one.  So THERE!!!  I have spoken!!!!  Well, when have I ever been quiet, eh?

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Poor Frog.....

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

There is nothing more distressing than a flat piece that will not lie flat! You did what you had to do. Save the beads!

Margarets designer cards said...

Oh dear the bin had it, I am sure you will get a bell pattern, I hate blocking I am like you it has to stay in place and behave.
Margaret

Karrieann said...

Grinch had it coming!

Ridgewoman said...

I hardly ever lie flat! I’m goin in the bin. LOL I think it is grand you set such high standards for yourself after 50 yrs of tatting.
Me, on the other hand, I do tug and flatten on a styrofoam board...being a regular newbie (comparatively) BUT my tension has improved as have my joins and that is progress for me. LOL
hugs xxxxxx P

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.