24 October 2007

Testing the new handbag!

For the first time in years I've now got a handbag that I like!!! So cool!! The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's dull and boring at the moment. So, to put this right I've started to think about decorating it. Well, what would anybody in their right minds want on a handbag?
Tatting, of course!!
As there are many 'facets', sides, ins and outs to this bag this will be a tricky one. So, last night I started on some odds and ends. As usual there is no forward planning to this task - just the regular 'hit and miss' method. I think all those years of planning lessons for youngsters has knocked this skill out of me. OR, did I ever plan that well anyway? Hmmm, won't go down that road!!!
I thought I'd make this an animal bag. So I've started with a gecko and a couple of pigs. There's an owl half done and then I thought I may do a seahorse (or 2). One of the pigs may go elsewhere as a present. Just like doing things in pairs as once a couple of shuttles are wound it's easier to use most of the thread than wind it back onto the ball (ooooooh, I LOVE my Aeros for that!). I always wind thread back onto the ball when I've finished a project so that I know where the thread came from. This also frees up the shuttles. One of the advantages of using a bobbin shuttle.
Anyway, I digress, as usual!!! I may do some flowery bits too but it's early days.
At the only local craft store we have (yes, we do have one - only one) I noticed some glue that they had. This is glue that you can use to stick stuff onto fabric AND still be able to wash the item. I'm going to give this a try on the bag as I doubt it'll need washing that often. Here are the first contestants for a placement on the bag!!!

3 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love these colors! What thread did you use? Sometimes I think I plan too much and achieve too little! A little hit and miss might spur me into action!

Jane Eborall said...

Hi Diane
The pink is Floretta and the green is Flora. They are six core threads as I don't 'do' well with the Perle or Turkish. Oh, the wings on the piggies are an old Coats.
JaneEb

Tattycat said...

I love everything you have been doing, but these three are precious! I think Isaac's jacket needs another gecko and at least two pigs! I'll have to get off of leaves and get back to animals!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.