21 October 2007

How wrong can you be?

Yesterday morning I emailed Georgia about tatting stuff and personal things. At the very end of the email I said the following.

"Well, time for a trip to the car boot market. Just for eggs - there's rarely anything interesting to find!!!"

The car boot market is held each Saturday on a bit of waste land at the end of our road. A car boot market is similar to garage sales or neighbourhood sales. People come along to a given place with a stack of stuff they don't want, open the boot (trunk) of their car, put out a table and the stuff from their boot goes onto the table. Good way to get rid of stuff you don't want!!!
I normally go up to the market for eggs and vegetables cause a man sells them from his small holding. Yesterday the local hospice had a 'pitch' too and I was dozing past there when I saw the two doilies at the end of this post. I started looking at them and the lady told me they were crochet. Sorry, says I, they're not crochet - they've been tatted. Out come my shuttles and thread, which I happened to have with me, and on a very cold morning and only half awake I showed the lady how the mats were made.
Well I couldn't leave them there. Unloved, unappreciated. I told her that I didn't want or need them but that they needed liberating. So, for the princely sum of a whole round pound they came home with me.

5 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

What a find! Several years ago I bought a dozen beautiful crocheted doilies for 10 cents a piece... the woman's mother had made them for her, and she hated doilies!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I need to come across a find like this, I am always looking for tatting that I can use as textures in my pottery. I haven't been able to use much of the larger pieces I tat because it breaks my heart to see all that work get ruined.

Tattycat said...

Congratulations on your lovely find. Bless you for liberating them!
P.S. You've been tagged! Check my blog for instructions.

Tat-a-Renda said...

Great work liberating the beautiful pieces.

But I can't believe that you 'just happened' to have a shuttle and thread with you. I always thought that you carry them everywhere, :-)

Anonymous said...

Great finds, mum! So glad they found a good home with love and care. Hope this picked you up from the doldrums ;)

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.